Sunday, January 31, 2010

So last night was pretty interesting. So one of my patients had a history of A-fib and I guessour floor can take people who are med-surg but are also tele patients at the same time, but they have ot be stable enough for med surg to handle. So we had this lady who had been on our floor for about three days and her heart was great. Then the cardiologist came for a consult, requested med-surg tele and suddenly she is in A-flutter or so the rapid response nurse said. Here's the thing though, I didn't even think to say anything cause, for a breif moment, forgot that HR of 150 is NOT ok for an adult. I felt like such a bone head. So my nurse looked at her on the monitor and asked me if I saw that and I said yes but had no explanation as to why I didn't say anything and she said it was ok cause our patient was asymptomatic but that if I see something like that again I need to tell her cause whoever it is needs to be moved to tele. So I said ok and we got it all taken care of and we moved her. Total "my bad's" of the preceptorship: 1. After that nothing too exciting, until I had to go pee and of course someone on tele would code while I was peeing. The first opportunity I have ever had to see a code in real life and by the time I see what's happening and get to the end of my hall which looks right into the room where the code is happening, 50 million people are in the room and in the doorway so I can't actually see anything except the crash cart and the person who is doing compressions and everyone else who is standing. It made me wish I hadn't gone pee, cause the last place I was, was standing down quite close to the room where it had happened, and if I hadn't had to pee...They brought the person back and took them to ICU so hopefully they will be ok.
I know that it is wrong that I am upset about not seeing the code like I wanted to, but I want to work in an ICU setting, where people just might code and I just once, want to be in the room to see what goes on so that way I don't feel so afraid when one actually happens to me. I guess it'll just be a waiting game.

No comments:

Post a Comment