Saturday, February 6, 2010

So this week was definitely better...thus far.
So we had this cute little old man who only spoke spanish in 17 and everytime I went into his room I'd say (please note: my spanish is not great which means my spelling is not great either) "buenos noches, tienes dolor?" and he would start saying something and then point to his head. I gathered headache and said "pastieas que dolor?" and he always said no. So it's around 0530 on Thursday morning and I was getting most recent vitals for report to let the on coming nurse know if my patients were stable or not. Got my first set from 19 and then went to go see my old friend in 17 but his most recent were ar 2200 and I didn't think that would be accurate enough for report so I stopped the PCT and told her I wanted vitals before he went for a shower and then onto his procedure. Everything was within normal limits for an adult until I got to his blood pressure and it was like 220/98 but I thought I heard wrong so I checked again and got 200/90. I asked the PCT to wait on the shower and please double check the pressure because his pressure was really high and I wanted to make doubley sure cause we do manual pressures. She confirmed and I ran to get my nurse, explained the situation and since she was helping our new admit get to her procedure, I traded her places and got the new admit cleaned up and off to her procedure.

YAY I DID SOMETHING RIGHT!!! finally...=]
I was actually really proud that I caught that and the only reason I caught it was cause I wanted a more recent set of vitals. GO ME! It didn't dawn on me til later though that a headache could mean high blood pressure until I got home and had a headache myself and had my "ah-ha" moment.

After we got off shift, I went to breakfast at Mosaic Cafe with Rhoda (my nurse), Judy, Ramona, Sarah, Shirley and a day shift nurse who I had never met before. It was a great ending to a great catch for me.

Work tomorrow night, number 7...1/2 way done! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment